Thursday, June 25, 2009

On Driving...

The first time I enrolled in a driving school was circa 2000. We just got a new car and I was excited to drive it around. Full of optimism my brother and I signed up for driving lessons. After five days I was pretty sure I can take the car out and drive to my heart's content.

Not as easy as it looks.

Fast forward to 2009...

I enrolled again, this time at a different school, looking forward to the day I could drive Nino. The first session was okay, so was the second, and so on. Until I decided to finally try out Nino. I asked my brother to accompany me. With confidence I went to the driver's seat, revved up the engine, started the car, stepped on the clutch then the accelerator and I was off!

It was a disaster as soon as we turned at the first corner! My mind went blank. I forgot what I learned at driving school. The whole "driving around the subdivision" turned into a shouting match between me and my brother. Until he left, that experience was never repeated again.

But I don't give up that easily. It was just mind over matter. Friends told me that it just takes time and a lot of practice. As an incentive, I promised Mamu that when I finally become a good driver I would take her to Tagaytay and treat her to a day of pampering at Sonya's Garden. She laughed and said "kailan pa kayo yun?".

Yesterday, I practiced again, this time with Mamu. I drove Nino around the subdivision. It was somewhat better, but still "no deal"! I'm starting to believe that I don't have the driving "gene". How come I just don't get it?! Really!

Looks like Tagaytay seems to be getting farther and farther away. Mamu's Sonya's Garden pampering will have to wait. Indfinitely. Haay naku...

With fingers crossed, hopefully, this will be me in our Tagaytay roadtrip with Mamu.
With fingers crossed, hopefully, this will be me in our Tagaytay roadtrip with Mamu.

No comments: