Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Gem that is Puerto del Sol


To say that the Puerto del Sol  is not the easiest place to get to is an understatement. It is seven hours away from Manila.  Dadayuhin mo talaga.  But my stay at the resort more than made up for that.

Photo by Jasper Buenavista

My five-day stay there was very hectic, in fact, I was not able to take pictures of the resort.  But take my word for it, the place is picturesque in a rustic sort of way.  If you don't believe me, check out their website.

Photo by Jasper Buenavista

But more than the resort itself, I was impressed by their friendly and very accommodating staff.  I went there for work.  We organized a Fear Factor/Amazing Race type of activity.  Not the easiest thing to mount but thanks to the staff headed by their manager Sir Nestor, the event was a success.  The staff really went out of their way to accommodate all of our requests.  It's not only us though, case in point, the opening picture was something that was set up because one of the guests wanted to have a romantic dinner with his wife.  That's how they treat their guests.

As part of the advance party, I also got to taste a lot of their food and this time, I made sure to take a lot of pictures.

Dinner: Day 1

Egg Drop Soup
Chicken Teriyaki

Grilled Stuffed Bangus
Seafood Chopsuey
Leche Flan

For this set, only the leche flan stood out.  It was rich and creamy and not overwhelmingly sweet.  The perfect ending to a very tiring day.

When I was asked to provide a feedback for this set, I remember telling the F&B Manager that most of the dishes are under seasoned.  They took note of this comment and when all this was served to our clients, everything tasted better.

Lunch: Day 2

Roast Pork Loin with Mushrooms
Pan-fried Blue Marlin
Broccoli and Cauliflower with Bacon
Buko Pandan

We all enjoyed this set.  The pork and the fish dishes are well cooked. I remember enjoying the freshness of the broccolli and cauliflower but the dish itself is pretty forgettable.  The buko pandan tasted great with just the right balance of pandan flavor.

Dinner: Day 2

Sweet and Sour Fish Fillet
Roast Pork Loin with Cream Sauce
Sauteed Green Bean

Our official food tasting menu ended here.  Everyone liked the Sweet and Sour Fish Fillet best. By this time, the food was starting to taste the same us. But this was the most fun meal we had during our entire stay because we were serenaded by the F&B Manager.

Lunch: Day 3

Mixed Tempura
Bangus Sisig
Kare-kare

Since the food tasting ended with yesterday's meal, we decided to order ala carte, para maiba naman.  I personally liked the Mixed Tempura best.  The Kare-kare is just okay, the sauce is a bit too sweet.  The bagoong is also sweet, I was expecting to see the salty Pangasinan pink bagoong which would go well with this sweetish kind of Kare-kare but I was disappointed. I'm not really a fan of bangus that's why I didn't taste the sisig.  During check out, we were not billed for this meal so this is our "tawad" meal.

I'm definitely going back to Puerto del Sol, purely for leisure next time I have the chance.  In the end, I know that the seven-hour drive is worth it.

No comments: