Saturday, August 7, 2010

Arroz ala Cubana


I've been having an Arroz ala Cubana craving for weeks but never really acted on it. Then one day a neighbor gave us saging na saba (native plantains), I took this as a sign to hit the kitchen.

My version of Arroz ala Cubana:
1/2 kilo ground beef
1/2 T crushed garlic
1 medium onion chopped
1 medium bell pepper chopped
1 medium potato cubed
green peas (optional)
2 cups tomato sauce
fried saba (what's Arroz ala Cubana without the fried bananas, right?)
 2 tsps. cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. sugar
3 pcs. bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
Saute onions and garlic.

Add ground beef and season with salt and pepper (I like to season along the way).

Add the spices (cumin,chili powder, cayenne pepper, coriander) and bay leaves.

Add the tomato sauce.  I usually wait for the tomato sauce to boil before I start mixing.

Add the sugar (to balance the acidity of the tomatoes), adjust the seasoning then add the potatoes.  Wait for the potatoes to cook.

Tada!

Best served with rice.  Certified yum-o!

No comments: