Thursday, July 15, 2010

Filipino Food Overload Part 1: Crisostomo's

My brother came home for a ten day vacation from the States.  When asked what he wanted to to eat, his split second reply is  "Definitely Filipino!"

The first of what it turned out to be a series of Filipino Food Overload is dinner at Crisostomo's at Eastwood Mall.

Their menu is varied and most of the dishes are named after characters of Rizal's two obras, Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo.  It's not that I'm not familiar with the characters, it's just that some of the names don't describe the dishes at all, for instance we wanted sisig but there were two, Sisig Linares and Sisig Isagani.  Sure there are pictures, but it makes everything more confusing as these are really small.  The waiters are a big help though.

Calamares Tales 
Crispy breading and juicy squid perfectly complemented by the garlic mayo.  I just wish they had bigger servings.

Mang Pablo (try to guess what this dish is)
Crispy beef tapa, one of Crisostomo's bestsellers.  These are really good.  Think of bacon perfectly fried to a crisp with the sweet salty flavor of tapa. Perfect with garlic rice.

Sisig Linares
Crisostomo's version of Pork Sisig came on a requisite sizzling plate and was heavily topped with chicharon.  At first I enjoyed the play of texture going on, the gelatinous feel of the sisig against the crunchy chicharon, but the mayonnaise was just a tad too heavy.  My brother enjoy this but I can honestly say that I've had better. FYI, Sisig Isagani is Chicken Sisig.

Kare-kareng Kura
The oxtail was tender and the veggies cooked just right but the sauce was just a little too sweet for me.  The bagoong which is also sweet did not help balance out the flavors.

Salome's Secret
Grilled squid stuffed with tomatoes and onion.  The simplicity of this dish is pure yumm-o!  The squid is just tender and juicy, and yes, I know I sound like a hotdog commercial.

Taba ng Talangka Rice
Another winner!  Garlicky and rich.  Ohhh so good but so bad.

I didn't want to go through the menu another time so for dessert we ordered what the owner, Chef Florabel Co is famous for, Frozen Brazo de Mercedes.
I'm not really into Brazo de Mercedes, I usually just dig in the yellow yema part and leave the rest behind.  But I enjoyed this version.  Sinfully rich and creamy.  This is one Brazo I dont mind having again...and again...and again.

It was a nice dinner but a tad overpriced if you ask me. 








No comments: