Thursday, July 22, 2010

Filipino Food Overload Part 3: Kanin Club

We headed to Kanin Club at the U.P. Ayala Technohub for the official family dinner a.k.a. my brother's last night in the country.

Apologies for the bad picture.

We had no reservations because we assumed that there wouldn't be a lot of diners on a weekday.  Lo and behold, the restaurant was jampacked and we had to wait a good ten minutes or so.  No biggie, in fact we took this a s a good sign, fully booked resto is equal to good food.

Kanin Club serves the usual Filipino fare, what makes them different is their rice offerings from the Kanin All You Can (bottomless plain rice) to garlic rice to aligue rice to the intriguing Sinangag na Sinigang.  But my family was not feeling adventurous that night so I was outvoted. They opted for Aligue Rice instead.


Kanin Club's version looked and tasted like java rice with a sprinkling of fried garlic.  Nothing artery clogging here.  Or maybe this is the healthier version.  But it went pretty well with the other dishes that we ordered.


The Laing is truly a gabi and ginataan goodness galore.  I would've preferred it to have more kick but other than that this is winner.

We had this debate between Crispy Dinuguan and Crispy Binagoongan.  But my sister has this aversion to dinuguan so the Crispy Binagoongan won by default.

Crispy fried liempo with binagoongan sauce.  I personally believe that you can never go wrong with liempo.  I'm now starting to realize that liempo will be the death of me.  I love it adobo, sinigang, grilled, lechon kawali, practically anything.  Anyway,  Crispy Binagoongan is liempo goodness with a twist, crispy and just the right saltiness with a hint of sweetness.  Yummy!

We also ordered Lumpiang Sariwa which was huge but just tasted so-so.  The sauce could certainly use more garlic.


We also had Callos which arrived halfway through our meal.  I think a better name for this dish is Tough Tripe Drowning in Tomato Sauce and Diced Vegetables.  But that name would be too long.  Total disappointment and I forgot to take a picture.

Let me just say, the staff here is very courteous and accommodating.  While waiting for our table we requested for a more "wheelchair friendly" location because Papi is in a wheelchair.  They accommodated this request and we were seated near the door to so that we didn't have to maneuver as much.

There will definitely be a return visit to Kanin Club.  I can't wait try their Crispy Dinuguan and Sinangag na Sinigang.






No comments: