Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Filipino Food Overload Part 2: Abe's

Next on our Filipino food itinerary is Abe's, one of my favorite Filipino restaurants. 

For starters we had Sinigang na Bangus Belly sa Bayabas.  Another version of sinigang with guava as the souring agent.  I don't eat bangus belly (or any fish belly for that matter) so I just asked for the soup which was a little thicker than the usual sinigang.  Mamu's version of this is always sour (something which I never enjoyed), so the sweetish guava flavor came as an unexpected surprise.  I would enjoy this soup anytime sans bangus belly.  But alas, I forgot to take a picture.

Hands down, my favorite is Kare-Kare ala Bistro Remedios.


Oxtail...fork tender, sauce...nothing but peanut goodness, veggies...cooked just right, bagoong...the perfect salty complement.  For this dish alone, I don't mind going back again and again and again.  Seriously, I'm in love with Abe's Kare-Kare!

Knockout Knuckle really knocked us out.


Tender pata fried to a crisp topped with crunchy garlic bits.  Need I say more?    This is one of the many reasons why I *heart* pork. 

Binukadkad na Plapla is sight to behold.  We all pulled out our camera to take a shot.



Fried plapla served on a bed of mustasa leaves with buro, fermented rice, on the side. A treat for the fish lover, something I'm not.  But I liked this, except for binukadkad part this is quality straightforward fried fish.

As usual, Abe's never disappoints.  Great food and great value for money each and every time.

No comments: